Pinterest

Monday, February 25, 2013

Fresh Ravioli with Mushroom Filling

I was wandering around Sur la Table and I (naturally) found myself in the pasta section where I was greeted by ravioli cutters, drying racks and pasta machines. It was almost like candy land! I was excited, to say the least.

I figured since I have had many experiences making cut pasta, it was time to step it up a notch and venture into ravioli land. I've seen it done in a few YouTube videos while doing research and learning. So I figured now is the time! I first grabbed a hand held ravioli cutter and examined it a bit until my eyes wandered and landed on a ravioli tray. I took a look at the tray and figured it'd be better to have a "template" for uniform, perfect ravs! I ended up purchasing the Round Italian Ravioli Maker with Rolling Pin. Oh and the pasta drying rack (eeeek!!!). I'm sure you'll see it pop up in future posts, this is a sturdy rack, unlike the others I have come across that seem flimsy.


Let's get started on the ravioli's shall we!? 


Ingredients:

Mushroom filling:

2 c. Portobello mushrooms, coarsely chopped
6 garlic cloves, diced
1/4 c. italian flat parsley
1 tsp. salt; 3 turns of freshly ground pepper
Dash of freshly ground nutmeg
Pinch of lemon zest
1 c. ricotta cheese
3 tbsp. olive oil

In a large, heated skillet, add olive oil and give it a swirl in your skillet. Add garlic and mushrooms, let cook for 3-4 mins stirring occasionally. Once mushrooms have cooked down slightly, add parsley, salt, and black pepper and incorporate. Remove the skillet from the heat and add freshly ground nutmeg and lemon zest. Transfer the mushrooms to a separate bowl and let cool.

Once the mushrooms have cooled for about 10-15 minutes, go ahead and add ricotta cheese and mix. Your filling is ready!

Fresh Pasta:

2 1/4 c. flour
3 eggs
3 tbsp. olive oil (add when you feel your dough is drying out)

Go ahead and have two sheets of pasta ready for a tray of raviolis, which will yield a dozen per tray.


Lay one sheet down, and fill the rounds with your mushroom and ricotta filling. I used a teaspoon to fill the holes. Once I had the filling in, I tapped it down slightly with my finger to make sure it reached the bottom and filled the area.


Lay the second sheet on top of the filled rounds and get a rolling pin and roll down the sheet until the second sheet is firmly pressed down and you can see that the jagged edges have punctured the dough.  


Flip the tray upside down and give a little tap and the ravioli's should fall right out!


I made a total of 54 ravioli's, which is about 4.5 dozen. It took me about two hours from start to finish. Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment