Pinterest

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Fresh Homemade Squid Ink Linguine with Shrimp Wine Sauce

So I have been interested in venturing away from just regular pasta. I wanted to try squid ink pasta, from scratch. I had this once at a restaurant and thought it was super delicious and I wanted to make it on my own. With encouragement from friends and family, I made my way over to the Italian deli to purchase the squid ink packets and double zero flour. I could've ordered it online, but why wait for shipping!? I'm impatient like that.

Recipe for Pasta w/ Squid ink:
2 1/4 c. Double 00 flour
3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 tbsp. olive oil as needed
1 tbsp. squid ink
Dash of water if needed



Rolled out sheet of squid ink pasta

Running through the cutters


Hanging out on the drying rack

I also made a shrimp with white wine sauce to go with the linguine.

Recipe for shrimp w/ white wine sauce:
1.5 lbs. peeled and devined shrimp 
1/2 c. white wine
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 lemon
1/ 2 tsp. lemon zest
5 garlic cloves, diced
1/2 tsp. chili flakes
3 turns olive oil
3 tbsp. butter
1 jalapeno, diced
1/4 c. tomato paste

Peel and devine your shrimp, I get mine from the fish market already devined, but I go through the shrimp, peel and cut down the spine to ensure vein's have been removed. I season the shrimp with sea salt and cracked black pepper and set that aside.

Heat up skillet, add olive oil, butter, and garlic and jalapenos. Let garlic simmer in sauce. Then add white wine and shrimp. Season shrimp again with salt and cracked black pepper. 

(At this point, bring a pot of water to boil and add pasta to cook al dente)

Let shrimp turn pink and go ahead and add about 1/4 c. of tomato paste. As your sauce is simmering, and shrimp has cooked through completely, drop in your pasta and incorporate into shrimp and sauce. I don't drain my pasta, I just use tongs to transfer from pot to skillet. The pasta water will add to the existing sauce that you are cooking. 

Shrimp getting pink in wine, butter, olive oil and garlicky goodness


Ta-Da! Garnish with some chopped flat leaf pasta and a dash of lemon juice

This dish took about 15 minutes to cook, very simple and an easy-to-do during the week! And you guys, double 00 flour? This is the right stuff to be using!!! The difference between double zero and all-purpose flour is like night and day. The pasta came out so perfect and silky smooth, it was unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment