Pinterest

Monday, March 18, 2013

Homemade Wheat Waffles

I love waffles. They are my favorite breakfast item, and I really love Belgian waffles, but I don't have a Belgian waffle maker... so anywho! For a person who loves waffles, I certainly don't use my waffle maker as often as I should. So I decided to pull it out and make use of the wheat flour I had when I attempted to make wheat pasta (wasn't my favorite pasta creation).

Ingredients for batter:
1 1/2 c. wheat flour (I used the Trader Joes brand)
1 tbsp. agave syrup (or maple syrup, I had agave on hand)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c. almond milk (you can use regular milk also)
5 tbsp. melted butter

Mix your dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, sugar). Mix your wet ingredients together (agave syrup, egg, milk, butter). Slowly combine your dry ingredients into your wet ingredients by whisking the two together. You can use a mixer, I just used a whisk to avoid the additional clean up (let's keep it real, and efficient people!).

Once you have a nice consistent batter, heat up your waffle maker and once ready, use a 1 cup measuring cup to scoop your batter onto your waffle maker. It should take about 7-8 minutes for the waffle to be cooked and well done. You can choose to monitor it closer if you like a soft waffle, but I like em crispy.

I chose to top my waffle with blueberries, butter and lite syrup. 


Making waffles from scratch is so easy (and cost effective!), why would you want to buy a frozen product? That way you can control the amount of additives that are in the waffles themselves and eliminate anything that has to do with preservatives. If you have children, you can have them help in the kitchen (even if its just adding the blueberries on top!). 

Eating "healthy" is a lifestyle change, and this is a great way to start! Making food from scratch.


No comments:

Post a Comment